On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM, deface <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some OEM disks give you no alternative but to format all. Such as a
>  recovery partition. Always XP first.
>
>  deface
>

>  On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 01:27 +0000, James wrote:
>  > Michael Higgins <linux <at> evolone.org> writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > > I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
>  > > from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
>  >
>  > > Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
>  > > to re-install grub & that's it? '-)
>  >
>  > The easiest thing to do is install XP first. Then use the microsoft
> utilities
>  > (I forget the name) to shrink down the size of the partition  (usually
> about
>  > 50%). Then install Gentoo in the space that XP is not occupying.
>  >
>  >
>  > James

Just a small heads-up about my installation of WinXP today on the
laptop that went down last night. No problems installing Gentoo. It's
up and running. Double built emerge -e world. However on the Windows
side my OEM had installed Vista which I didn't like so I installed XP
today. No problems installing XP (as per a previous thread) however I
have no sound, video, audio or networking drivers for XP. I think I
found some at the nVidia site but HP/Compaq don't want to support XP
so they don't have them. The nVidia instructions say I have to install
Service Pack 1a first and without networking I had to scrounge around
for those, burn them to a CD, and hopefully get them installed
tomorrow.

The basic lesson is that M$ pushes the OEMs to abandon XP and its
getting harder and harder to install XP all the time.

Just a small heads-up. Not an issue if you like the version of Windows
your system came with.

Cheers,
Mark