On Sunday 04 May 2008, Akselii wrote:
> On 5/4/08, Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Neil Bothwick wrote:

> >  > If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The
> >  > MS profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate
> >  > it for the VM "hardware".
> >
> >  This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
> >  partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
> >  reactivate it before it goes inactive.
> >
> >  You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
> >  sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
> >  really need the clone?
> >
> > --
>
> If i recall right you could boot windows with different "profiles",
> which would be just different hardware configurations, also i dont
> think corporate versions of windows says anything about the
> activation.

Thank you All,

I assumed (wrongly) that since it is the same physical hardware and the same
partition image it will not ask me to re-register it.  The thing is that I do
not want to interfere at all with the original installation/partition, and
there are enough warnings on the Virtualbox manual to convince me that I
should not risk it (not with this installation anyway).

When you say it'll take three days for the registration to lock up, does this
mean that it will only kick in if I leave Virtualbox running for three days
continuously, or will it know/remember how long I have been running it since
the very first time I booted it up?
--
Regards,
Mick