On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Jan Seeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At Tue, 06 May 2008 13:48:46 +0800,
>
> William Kenworthy wrote:
>  >
>  > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 01:42 -0300, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
>  > > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM, deface <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  <snipped the frustration>
>
> > been there, done that ... and gave up.
>  >
>  > Write your own scripts and shortcut the frustration.
>  >
>  > Keep a directory with a subdirectory for each site.  Have all config
>  > files needed properly configured and stored there. Lastly, a simple
>  > script just copies in the required files over the top of the last lot
>  > and restarts the services.  I have a desktop icon and a GUI (using
>  > gtkdialog) so I can easily select the correct site.
>  >
>  > Ive tried a few like network manager, and also tried to get gentoo's
>  > networking to do it semi-automaticly to help, but all I ended up with
>  > was a frustratingly fragile mess.
>
>  I have a laptop too, and I always found that the gentoo networking
>  scripts where fully sufficient for keeeping me on-line. Okay, the
>  wireless is a bit flaky, but only when connecting. Note: I do not use
>  network manager.
>
>  What exactly are your problems?

Gentoo networking configuration is OK. It works for the most part, but
you just need something were you can quickly type a password for a
protected WPA network and it connects. Yes, you CAN edit the files by
hand and provide the information, but that just makes your net
configuration file a mess. I ended up with a pretty mess of over a
dozen networks, most of them I used only once.

I'm all for the console and editing configuration files, but a laptop
or notebook is meant to be a fast tool to be connected everywhere,
isnt it?

Right now I'm switching to XFCE and I'll try more stuff, like
pynetworkmanager...

--
Daniel da Veiga