Mark Knecht wrote:
On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Benjamen R. Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I recently got a couple seasons of Star Gate SG-1, and can read nearly all
the DVDs except the 3rd DVD of Season 2, which under Kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r4
yielded the following error messags to dmesg:

hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdc:
 Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
 (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x11, ascq=0x05)
 The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
 "28 00 00 00 47 c0 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 73472
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 9184
npviewer.bin[10182]: segfault at 4 rip f6febd54 rsp ff833c70 error 4
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand
LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdc:
 Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
 Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)
 The failed "Read CD" packet command was:
 "be 00 00 00 00 96 00 00 01 58 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
typesconfig[18298]: segfault at 0 rip 4010eb rsp 7fffb31012b0 error 4
typesconfig[18299]: segfault at 0 rip 4010a1 rsp 7fffb31012b0 error 6
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:01:00.0 to 64
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  169.09  Fri Jan 11
14:04:37 PST 2008
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
First thing I did was verify it was a good disc by putting it in my Windows
laptop I use for work and running WinDVD. It played just fine, so I know it
has to be some part of the linux system not understanding the disk.
I also ran 'xine' with the verbose flag. You can find the output at
http://www.geocities.com/bm_witness/gentoo/xinedvd.txt.gz
FYI: /dev/dvd points to hdc. Trying to open '/dev/hdc' yields the same
results - though no information in the logs. :-<
I'd very much like to find a solution to this problem.
I've run into this problem a number of times on my Linux systems. In a
couple of cases what where essentially scratched disks played on both
my HT DVD player as well as Windows but would not play in xine.
I talked with the xine guys and they said (at the time maybe 3-4 years
ago) that their error recovery wasn't nearly as good as they wanted it
to be. At that time xine was the best around.
A READ10 issue is potentially a firmware issue in the drive since it's
the drive's processor formatting up data to send over the cable. My
suggestion would be try it on every system you have there. Some drives
read around problems better or do better correction at the drive.
Maybe you can find a firmware upgrade for the specific drive. Not
specific to these READ10 errors but some folks using 1394 peripherals
have improved performance in this sort of situation.

So I started watching the disc in question on my Windows laptop and it hung during one of the episodes. Restarting WinDVD and playing with where I was in the stream got past it; but with that I called it bad disc and got a swap'd out set today. So it seems the first issue (likely a header issue) was able to be gotten around easily, but with the second hang there seemed to be multiple issues.I confirmed all new discs are readable by Xine - at least to load the disc. Now I (joyfully) get to watch them all again to confirm they are all 100% good discs
.
Any how...would be nice for a little better error correction too; I wasn't quite ready to call it a bad disc with just the header issue; but with a second issue there was definitely something wrong at the disc level.

Thanks for all the help and tips.

Ben