On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:46:26 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot
> > option, or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you
> > no longer have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer
> > dependent on them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?
>
> Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
> be removed.  Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.
>
> I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.

I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
emerge shouts loudly about removing those.

> For example, one of the listed pkgs is:
>
>   gnome-base/libgnomeui
>
> which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.

equery depends is unreliable as it doesn't take proper account of USE
dependencies. What's the worst that can happen if you unmerge libgnomeui?
Probably that you can't start a GNOME desktop until it is re-emerged. As
long as you don't unmerge anything fro system and you run a deep world
update after a depclean, preferably followed by a revdep-rebuild, you
should be OK.

However, if this advice does break your computer, feel free to keep the
pieces :)

--
Neil Bothwick

ASSISTANT MANAGER: Feminine form of the word manager (q.v.).