I compiled the kernel with all modules:

make allmodconfig
make
make modules_install

I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
I created the following section in grub.conf:

title vanilla-all-modules
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1

The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
It shows the following message:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

(hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
I have ext3.ko in the following path:
/lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko

Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Andrey Falko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Pawel
 wrote:
> Hello
> How can I force Gentoo to detect hardware at boot time.
> Is it enough to compile the kernel with "automatic module loading" option ?
> or should I install additional tools e.g. kudzu ?
>
> thanks for help

udev and the "automatic module loading" option should be sufficient,
given that you have all of the proper modules compiled.