From: Dominik Zajac [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:24 AM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] K3b complains about my locale

if theres no file 02local you have to create it and set your locales there.
after donig this run env-update

regards

Dominik
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Daniel Pielmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin O'Gorman schrieb:

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message

   "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
   Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
has been done intentionally.
   Most likely the locale is not set at     all. An invalid setting
will result in problems when creating data projects.
   Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
take care of this."

It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique).  I
have
configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond
that. What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I
can
correct this on gentoo?
What have you set up in your /etc/locale.gen ?
I won't take credit for setting this up, because I don't think I did.  On
the other hand,
I've had occasion to internationalize a web page to dutch and polish,
which
appear
in the list.  So I dunno where it came from.

But here's what's there:

# /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your
system
#
# The format of each line:
# <locale> <charmap>
#
# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
#
# All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
#
# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
#
# Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be
automatically
# rebuilt for you.  After updating this file, you can simply run
`locale-gen`
# yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
#ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP EUC-JP
#en_HK ISO-8859-1
#en_PH ISO-8859-1
#de_DE ISO-8859-1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ISO-8859-15
es_MX ISO-8859-1
#fa_IR UTF-8
fr_FR ISO-8859-1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ISO-8859-15
#it_IT ISO-8859-1
pl_PL ISO-8859-15
This looks fine.  If when you run $ locale you get a list with LANG=en_US
but
further down LC_ALL=   (blank), then set export LC_ALL=xxx in your .bashrc
whatever you want your locale set to.

Halfway there.  I did that, and now "locale" looks like

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=en_US
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

However, when I start k3b from the KDE menus, it still complains.

On the other hand, if I start k3b from the shell that gives the "locale"
results above,
it starts clean.  So the issue seems to be that I need to inform KDE about
the
locale.

I did a fresh boot, and that did not help, so I wonder if .mybashrc is the
correct
place to do this.

try /etc/env.d/02locale

LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US"

For details take a look at the localisation guide.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml

The file /etc/env.d/02locale does not exist on my system.  I can create it, of
course,
but I suspect I may be missing something.  Is there a package I should emerge?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

I guarantee that those instructions will work for you. Check to see if you have
02locale in your /etc/env.d/ dir.