Hello,

I replaced a very old cdrom device with a newer DVD rw,
as the second dvdrw device in a workstation.

dmesg:
hda: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLEXTOR  DVDR PX-755A 1.04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

upon logging in, I get this popup error message in kde:
CD-ROM read or access error (or no audio disc in drive).
Please make sure you have access permissions to:
/dev/cdrom

udev:
cat 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules
# these rules generate rules for the /dev/{cdrom,dvd,...} symlinks
# the path of removable devices changes frequently
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb|ieee1394",
ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{GENERATED}!="?*",
PROGRAM="write_cd_rules by-id",
SYMLINK+="%c"

cat 60-cdrom_id.rules
# import optical drive properties
KERNEL=="sr[0-9]*|hd[a-z]|pcd[0-9]*",
IMPORT{program}="cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

The error message device (/dev/cdrom) does not exist. Should I manually
create it? Modify a udev rule? or what?

Note: when I run K3B, I do  not see both devices as active
at the same time.
Yet, I can manually load a source dvd/cd into either device
and (via dbus/ivman)
a popup appears which I can use to launch K3B and the source device
is seen, but the device with the blank dvd/cd media is blanked out. If I
switch the source dvd/cd then the device with the source disk is seen
and the other is blanked out.

Ideas on fixing this so I can load a dvd/cd into one drive and copy
to the other? (yes they are both dvdrw and cdrw devices. One is sata, the
other is ide, if that matters.

James