Grant Edwards schrieb:
On 2008-06-22, Daniel Pielmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
    can avoid these problems?  Is there a database broken or
    not-broken status?
1. You can not know before but you can monitor the irc channel
   #gentoo-commits on freenode or the gentoo-commits mailing
   list. So you know which changes are done to the portage
   tree. Be careful this will cause heavy traffic to your
   inbox.

 2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
    that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken
    state during moves?  (Maybe I'm just spoiled using
    Subversion...)
2. I don't know if this is doable in one go.

It's a rather fundamental feature of databases and revision
control systems, so I guess I'd be a bit surprised that it
can't be done that way.

   The gentoo package maintainer adds the ebuild to its new
   place and removes it from its old.  When this is done he
   changes the other ebuilds pointing to the old locations. He
   also makes an entry in $PORTDIR/profiles/updates so the
   /var/db/pkg is updated accordingly for already installed
   packages.

Wouldn't doing it the order below prevent problems?

   1) Add ebuild in new location.
   2) Change existing ebuilds to point to new location.
3) Delete ebuild from old location.
If even that can't be done, why not have a "working" copy of
the database where such changes are made and then push
non-broken snapshots of database out to the public servers?

Right there are probably better ways to achieve this. You can always file a bug if you think there is a way to improve this!

Regards,

Daniel