On Monday 23 June 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> My question to you would be:
>
> Do you like to support software like cdrkit that is published by
> people who attack other OSS projects?

Joerg,

Let me respond with a very close analogy, because this is not a yes/no
answer.

I ride a great big stomping motorcycle. It's an adrenaline rush, just
oozing vast amounts of power and torque. As motorcycles go, this is one
of the better ones and there isn't a car on the road that comes close
to this thing's ability to zoom away from traffic light into clear
space.

I know someone else who rides a cheap, piece of crap, Chinese 125cc
scooter. Maybe it's not crap, but that is my opinion of it. So I had a
long conversation with this scooter owner extolling the virtues of big
bikes, the increased safety of a more powerful engine and the thrill of
984cc of mind-blowing torque.

All this fell on deaf ears. The answer I got was "dude, I'm happy you
have the machine you want. I just want to get to work cheaply and beat
the traffic. By the way, your solution costs 10 times what mine does to
buy"... I had no answer to that - I was up against a don't care output
and had mistakenly assumed it would of course be a Boolean.

See, CD software is close to your heart. It's not even remotely close to
mine. At best, it's a nice to have. I don't care about the 50 bugs you
so obviously care deeply about - I have never triggered them, they do
not impact on my life in any significant way. So I simply do not care
about that and am not likely to care much any time soon.

Continuing to use cdrkit affords me that luxury of not getting involved,
so I can carry on blissfully not caring and instead devote my energies
to the projects I do care about.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com