On Friday 27 June 2008, Zhang Le wrote:
> On 13:18 Thu 26 Jun     , Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > That info is still a bit skimpy though. Is there anything more
> > somewhere? And what about FEATURES=preserve-libs, is that
> > documented somewhere?
>
> All you need to do is to run 'emerge @preserved-rebuild' when you are
> reminded to.
> If you want to know the background, take a look:
> http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2008/06/portage-22-preserve-libs-features
>.html

Thanks, that blog is very useful indeed.

I don't agree with the first comment though - it's not just for new
users who don't understand revdep-rebuild. There is no realistic way of
knowing which libs will be updated during an emerge and thereby causing
breakage. This new syntax ensures stuff will still work and delete old
libs only after affected apps have been rebuilt. Very useful, very
appreciated.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com