Daniel Iliev wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 01:16:37 +1000
Dave Oxley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So what I want to do is setup my switch as a router.

No can do.
My switch is a SGE2000P which is also a layer 3 router.
I'm a bit of a newbie on advanced networking but I think that a
router is basically just a switch with a VLAN for the local network
and VLAN for the WAN. Is this assumption correct?

No, it is not. Those are two different pieces of equipment which work on
different levels of the OSI model. For further assistance, please,
describe clearly what kind of equipment is at your disposal and what
(not how) you are trying to achieve.
The point of the exercise is to remove my 2 consumer grade routers from my network as neither were very good and I wanted to improve the security of my network. I actually got it sorted today but thanks for answering. In case anyones interested I've now got 3 VLAN's. 1 each for each of the Internet connections and 1 for the rest of the LAN. The Gentoo server is on all 3 and runs PPP with PPPoE to each of the 'modems'. As a note it's interesting that PPPoE to 2 different devices conflict with each other but putting them on different VLAN's works brilliantly. When a PPP connection fails the ip-down script switches the default route to the ppp1 device and ip-up switches it back to ppp0; very smooth! I'm not using the L3 functionality of the switch as I was originally intending as the server does the routing.

Cheers,

Dave