On Monday 30 June 2008, Roger Mason wrote:
> Kenneth Prugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > emerge -O bash
>
> and
>
>  Alex Schuster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > So, first try this: emerge -1a =app-shells/bash-3.2_p17-r1
>
> Well, in the end I decided to play very straight and use a more
> up-to-date install CD.  I'm currently installing from 2008.0_beta2,
> so far without any problems.

For the record, this turns out to be a fairly straightforward blocker. A
recent version of portage uses new features in a recent bash, and
Alex's suggestion will work just fine. I recently had to update 10+ old
machines around this entirely trouble free.

But using a more recent CD is probably the better idea, it's entirely
possible to manoeuvre through two years of updates, but it's kinda
pointless if you have a better base system at hand :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com