Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
On Monday 30 June 2008, brullo nulla wrote:
The block will in many cases affect only a branch of the dependency
tree. For example, in this case it is all blocked because glibmm
wants a masked glib. Portage knows that glibmm wants the masked glib,
so it knows that glibmm causes the trouble. So it could in principle
give me what is to update except for glibmm and glib - and give me
the error about those two.

Am I missing something?

Probably not :-)

But the portage code has been described as difficult to maintain, so I suppose the correct person to ask is Zac himself. Perhaps there are tricky edge cases?

Maybe. It could be a toggable feature.
It is often said the current state of Portage code is quite messy. I don't know, never read it. I'd like to contribute them a bit (I know some Python) but if experienced Portage developers are in fear of touching code, I wouldn't probably be of help.

I wonder if Paludis does what I say. Could it be the day I switch...

(If only there was a Python portage replacement... a Portage-ng project?)

m.