* Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Enrico Weigelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > * Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > First, libcdio had an illegal license change: the "authors" took a lot of
> > > the
> > > code from cdrtools and claim that "their" code (e.g. derived from
> > > cdda2wav) is
> > > GPLv2-or-any-later. Well, not a single file from cdda2wav has ever been
> > > released
> > > under this license.
> >
> > Ah, then you as the original author (right ?) to stop them from
> > that copyright infringenment. In the end they, IMHO, have two options:
> >
> > a) remove/replace your code
> > b) release libcdio under your terms (CDDL ?)
>
> I am not the person who did put the code together as "libcdio". This was the
> FSF. We are talking about a Copyright violation done by the FSF.

This is what I said. If they broke the license, they have to fix this.

> > ACK. That's one of those points why I thing, libraries should LGPL
> > instead of GPL (I admit, I'm as careful as I should be about that w/
> > some of my own packages yet, but just due lack of time - on request
> > my GPL'ed libs will be moved to LGPL)
>
> The FSF has no choice to make the code LGPL, converting from GPLv2-only is
> already more than they are allowed to do.

Probably not the FSF, but all the authors involved. Can be a tricky issue ;-P
Yet another reason why I prefer to keep packages small.

> > BUT: please, please no flamewar about license philosophies.
>
> I am not interested in license wars. I get the impression that some people
> start flamewars because I am relaxed about licenses and do not try to make a
> religion out of a license.

Well, just make one qualified statement at the right places and then
better ignore the trolls. They just waste our time.

cu