On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:04:26 +0100
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've recently moved /boot from /dev/hda to /dev/hdd. Then I've
> > installed grub with
> > for i in /dev/hd{a,b,d}; do grub-install --recheck $i; done
>
> My knowledge of bash is less than rudimentary, therefore I am not
> sure what this does - can you please explain (in plain English).  Did
> you only have /dev/hdd mounted at the time of installation?  What
> else is connected to the controller that hdd is connected to?

The above line is a short version of:
grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
grub-install --recheck /dev/hdb
grub-install --recheck /dev/hdd

--recheck was necessary because the old device map listed /dev/hdd as
an optical drive.

I installed grub on all devices because I wasn't sure which one is
checked by the BIOS. Now I know I can tell the BIOS to look at /dev/hdd
first but that doesn't help.

At the time of installation the system was running with all devices
mounted. The old /boot (/dev/hda1) was unmounted and the
new /boot (/dev/hdd1) mounted.

On the same controller there are two more HDDs (hda and hdb) and a
DVD-burner (hdc). UDMA modes are set correctly by the BIOS, after boot
everything works fine.

There is also a floppy drive and several USB-devices (card reader).