Has anyone else played with iFolder on Gentoo?

I followed these links:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_iFolder
http://www.ifolder.com/index.php/HowTos
http://www.ifolder.com/index.php/HowTo:Building_iFolder_Enterprise_Server_on_Gentoo
http://www.ifolder.com/index.php/HowTo:Building_Simple_Server_on_Gentoo

I get as far as issuing:

# rsync -rtv --delete ultra.hivalley.com::ifolder-overlay ifolder-overlay
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2]

I wonder, does this work? If so, what I am I missing? If not, what competing technologies might I consider (assuming there are better ideas than regularly scheduling rsync)?

I am attracted to the idea of automatically shadowing my 'home dir' on each of the machines I use... I'd only ever use one at a time - and each would come into network connectivity with my gentoo server before I put down the keyboard of one and start to use another. Aside from disconnected operation, I'm also keen on the idea of having multiple physical copies (in case of disk failures) and the idea that I'd have low latency access to all my files. In the past I fiddled with OpenAFS - but found it too complex for my purposes... especially on a network of heterogeneous OS.

Hints?