Daniel Iliev wrote:

"NOTE:Due to a KDE3 limitation, it can only backup files each up to 4GB
in size (on 32bit platforms at least; therefore larger files are
skipped)"

If your platform happens to be a 32bit one...

Ah! One more thing. AFAIK Kbackup has nothing to do with GNU Tar. It
utilizes KDE's KTar class, so I wouldn't seek the problem in GNU Tar
(/bin/tar). Actually you can easyly make e test:

tar cpf my_huge_archive.tar --format=posix  "/path/to/many/big/files"
tar xpf my_huge_archive.tar --format=posix -C "/path/to/test/dir/"

I bet it would work.

More info: http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/Formats.html

Cool, thanks for that info. You want to hear something funny? In the settings for Kbackup, it has a setting for 4.7Gb, 8.5Gb, 9.4Gb and 17.1Gb. Looks like it would disable/grey out the ones that don't work. At least I know it is not me going crazy. o_O You're more than welcome to keep wondering tho. LOL

I had no idea on what Kbackup used to create the tarball but I did assume it used tar since it was a .tar file. Should have guessed KDE would have a Ktar version though. :/

OK. Question. What is a good program that allows me to select certain directories to backup and then create DVD slices that I can burn to DVD? I prefer a GUI program if at all possible. I looked at the website for reoback but not sure if it will do what I want to do either. I do system backups but am more concerned about my data files.

Oh, I tried mondo-rescue before but it turned into a nightmare. Mostly package version nightmare. I also think it was command line only.

Thanks for the link and info. At least I can keep it under 4Gb and make backups.

Dale

:-) :-)