David Relson skrev:

I've got both emacs and xemacs installed.  Using xemacs, most of the
chinese, japanese, and korean characters show up as hex codes like
\226.  emacs does the better job (with japanese being correct).

I've looked at the utf-8.xml page and what I've got is a combination of
en_US.UTF-8 and "C" (see the end of this message).

My 2.6.24 kernel has iso8859-1 as its default and I'm rebuilding with
UTF-8 as the default to see if this helps.

Regards,

David

In /etc/locale.gen is:

    en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

In /etc/profile.env is:

    export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'

In /etc/env.d/02locale.gen is:

    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

"env-update" and "source /etc/profile" have been run.

Running "locale" reports:

    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_COLLATE="C"
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES="C"
    LC_PAPER="C"
    LC_NAME="C"
    LC_ADDRESS="C"
    LC_TELEPHONE="C"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
    LC_ALL=C

Running "locale -a" reports:

    POSIX
    en_US.utf8

Try running emacs like this:
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" emacs -nw

If that doesn't help I have no idea why it doesn't work. I am able to display Japanese, Chinese and Korean with xterm (with unicode enabled) and LC_ALL and LANG set to "sv_SE.utf8".

However, in my .emacs file I have these lines (but I don't think they are required any longer):

(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)

--

//*David Sveningsson [eXt]*

Freelance coder | Game Development Student
http://sidvind.com

Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure clear to thy fellow man by using the One True Brace Style, even if thou likest it not, for thy creativity is better used in solving problems than in creating beautiful new impediments to understanding.