On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 23:08 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> The safest course is run python-updater-0.2, unmerge python-2.3,
> update
> python-updater then run the new version.
>
> You shouldn't break too much by unmerging the old version before you
> run
> python-updater. A few things may not work, but portage will be fine.
> As
> with any important system package, quickpkg it before unmerging.

Except I don't think python-updator will know what the old version of
python was so you might have to pass -o 2.3 or whatever.

What *I* would do, and the reason why I think you're having so the
trouble, is that you skipped 2.4.  I would go from 2.3 to 2.4, run
python-updater, then go from 2.4 to 2.5 and run python-updater again.

-a