Hi, Dale and everybody else!

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 05:23:59AM -0500, Dale wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Just in case you are talking about editing the files in profiles, that
> won't work long term.  Keep in mind that each time you run emerge
> --sync those files will be overwritten.  It is not a good idea to edit
> anything in /usr/portage since it will update when you sync again.

> If you want to enable/disable features in the profiles, do that in
> make.conf instead.

DONE.  It worked too, after fixing another problem (see below).

> That is where you put in your final wishes.  Example:  cups is enabled
> as a USE flag in the profile and you do not want cups enabled.  Put
> -cups in your make.conf and it should be disabled.  The reverse is also
> true.  If you want cups but it is disabled in the profile, you can add
> cups to your USE line in make.conf and it will be enabled.

> Hope that helps.

It helped a great deal, thanks!

With about 9 packages to go, I started getting disk full messages, even
though my (sole) partition had well over 1Gb free.  It turns out I'd ran
out of inodes.  Curious.  But the only "application" which has any data
at all yet is portage.  ;-)

I haven't looked in detail where all these little files are - I suspect
they're largely under /var - but dumpe2fs /dev/hdh5 gave:

    Inode count:              250976         <=======
    Block count:              1002046
    Reserved block count:     50102
    Free blocks:              354807
    Free inodes:              58             <=======
    First block:              0
    Block size:               4096
    Fragment size:            4096

It seems I have 250,918 files in ~650,000 blocks.  That's a _lot_ of
files, most of them flea sized.

So I formatted another ext3 partitions, with 2048 byte blocks and
~1,000,000 inodes, copied all the files across, rebooted into Gentoo and
I was able to finish intalling xfce4.  It's nice!  I need to get firefox
now, and I'll probably let that run overnight.  ;-)

Comparing the two partions with df immediately after the bulk copy, I got
this:

    /dev/hdh5              3945128   2525880   1218840  68% /mnt/hdh5   <== Old
    /dev/hdh10             3882172   2069020   1612744  57% /mnt/hdh10  <== New

Maybe 1024 byte blocks would have been even better.  Or would it be a
good idea to format the partition-with-all-the-little-files with Reiser.
Does Reiserfs have static limits on numbers of files?  It's supposed to
be very good at handling lots of midget files.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).