I've had some trouble in the past with "cfg-update" although it sure is
easy.  After a recent upgrade to a new portage, or so I assume, I was asked
to decide what to do about a config file change to an entirely new system:
OpenRC.  Not sure what to do, I probably bodged that.

Now   I receive this message at times:

  /etc/rc.conf: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `>>'
  /etc/rc.conf: line 1: `>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> File 1'

Investigating I discover there is a "Baselayout and OpenRC Migration Guide"
that tells me

     It is critical that you run dispatch-conf and ensure your /etc is up to
date before rebooting. Failure to do so will result in an unbootable system
and will  require the use of the Gentoo LiveCD to perform the steps below to
repair your system.

So, my question is how can I recover and make sure any new config file has
been activated?

Thank you,

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man