>> xsane fully works with my old USB scanner (Epson Perfection 636U) as
>> long as I'm root.  Does anyone know how to make it work as a normal
>> user?
>
> Check the permissions on the appropriate usb device.  You may end up
> adding your user to the scanner or usb group.  sane-find-scanner and
> scanimage -L might also be helpful.
>

> Justin

Thanks Justin.

I added the user to usb and scanner groups with the same results.

I can't figure out where the device file is.  With the scanner
connected and powered on I did an 'updatedb && locate scanner' and it
didn't come up with anything in /dev, I don't have a /dev/usb/
directory, and the output of 'ls /dev/usb*' is the same with the
scanner on or off.  Any idea where that file might be?   Those two
commands also don't mention it.

- Grant