Simon schrieb:
Your email is very long, so I'm not sure if I've taken it all in, but what I'd suggest is a shared /usr/portage directory (easily done by NFS) and distcc.

This creates a dependency on the host that contains the portage tree. It also remove some flexibility. For example, taking my laptop away from my 'portage pc' would make it impossible for me to modify my current installs while away. There are other consideration and the use of a sync'ed portage tree on each pc vs using nfs is a debate that I won't go into now and this part is not much of an importance in my problem... compilation is!...

You might want to take a look at Coda instead of NFS. It supports "disconnected" read/write: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coda_(file_system)

I haven't used it though.