On 31 Jul 2008, at 19:50, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
Note the "emerge -e world" is not what we need here as it will leave
broken system packages (the system won't boot on the new processor).
The '-e' option looks for the USE flags only.

From `man emerge`

       --emptytree (-e)
              Reinstalls all world packages and their dependencies ...

(don't be confused by the next sentence. I am sure it just means to say "uses the currently set USE flags").

       --newuse (-N)
Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have
              changed since compilation.

Stroller.