Hi all,

I've had the above error during boot for quite some time now so
clearly it doesn't have too major consequences. :-) I would, however,
like to understand what's going on and then, if possible, fix it.

The first thing I tried was to grep for (parts of) this error in the
/etc/init.d scripts but that yielded nothing. Using extra ewarns in
/etc/init.d/hwclock and /etc/init.d/fsck I discovered that both
hwclock and fsck *do* indeed run (but after the error is displayed).
Looking in other places (/usr/lib/portage, /usr/portage, /etc) didn't
yield anything useful either.

lion ~ # rc-update show
gpm | default
ntp-client | default