Michael Higgins wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:18:39 +0200
Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Dienstag, 12. August 2008, Michael Higgins wrote:

Now, was that a stupid thing to do, or should everything under /var
continue to work still, without issues?
afaik it should work.

/home is mounted in fstab, just like rootfs. I'm worried about a
reboot not working for some reason .
it should work. I would probably use bind mounting, but that is a
matter of taste.

This was what I thought I should do, but wasn't sure how to do it. Makes sense
now, seems to have worked well.

As for the new disk, it is only new to this machine. It's SCSI and
sits on its own controller, reiserfs format. I think perhaps it
originally was intermittently failing in a higher-speed controller
and got swapped out. Is there a way I can keep regularly checking
it for performance issues, should any crop up?
smartd

Is this in portage?

Cheers,

sys-apps/smartmontools
     Available versions:  5.36-r1 5.37 ~5.37-r1 5.38 {minimal static}
     Installed versions:  5.38(21:59:32 06/13/08)(-minimal -static)
     Homepage:            http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F