On Samstag, 16. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2008 15:41:04 Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> wrote:
> > On Freitag, 15. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > Oddly enough, 3D is very very snappy. It's the 2D
>
> stuff that cripples the
>
> > > performance, and on a desktop, 2D is exactly what
>
> you want.
>
> > AFAIK the problem is that the 8XXX series doesn't
>
> really have 2d hardware
>
> > anymore - everything is done in the 3d part - and the
>
> drivers to support
>
> > that are harder to write than anticipated.
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply. nvnews was unreachable for
> me all yesterday afternoon. This post is straight from
> the horses mouth, from Aaron Platter. He's the nvidia
> driver author:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1704502&postcount=17
>
> "Compiz window resizing is slow for a number of reasons
> mostly related to the inefficient way that the X server
> resizes redirected windows. Performance should be
> significantly better with InitialPixmapPlacement=2,
> except that most window decorators use currently-
> unaccelerated convolution filters for their shadows,
> bogging it down. Please try solid resizing with IPP=2
> and the window decorator disabled, to see how much of an
> effect it has. Improving the performance of convolution
> filters and redirected window resizing in general is
> something we're working on for future driver releases.
>
> "Also, you should see a significant improvement in
> redirected window resizing performance with IPP=1 if you
> use one of the xserver 1.5 prereleases."

I don't use compiz ;)

and people have reported slowdowns even with kde3.5.9 - with 4.1 it is just
much severe. And when I say 'severe' I talk about lagging for several seconds
between 'key pressed' and 'sign appears on screen'. Or 'mouse button pressed'
and 'desktop menu appears' and even more seconds between 'menu appears' and
'menu reacts to input'.

Yes, all that IPP and glyphcatch stuff helped a bit. But they made user stuff
slower. So at the end zero or very small actual improvements.