Quoting Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Does anyone else have this problem?
Yes, everyone using TCP :)
You can read Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control for more info (http://lartc.org/).
Snappy answer...  but I'm pretty sure I've never seen this before - on
a wide range of OS and network topologies. I didn't have the same
problem with two Windows PCs connected to the same router -

Ah!! But Windows (XP) uses TC by default. It doesn't use 20% of the network bandwidth unless you tweak some registry setting and/or disable QoS in network properties.

[snip]

It seems odd to me.

Why? Is pretty obvious what's happening: your Linux box is eating all the bandwidth with the MB download because _by_default_ Linux doesn't do any TC at all. If the iptables thingy was too aggressive, try a --limit-rate (or --rate-limit; I can't never get it right) in wget.

Regards,
Norberto