On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:23:27 +0100, gentoo_stev wrote:

> Thanks... I was pretty sure that reserving a proportion of my LAN
> bandwidth wouldn't help - though I didn't have that reference to hand. I'd
> have been happy to rate-limit to 80mbps if that would have helped - though
> I saw no reason that it should.

Like others have said this has nothing to do with your problem.

>> Much more likely is that the Gentoo (Linux) TCP Window sizing is more
>> aggressive and/or the Windows app/stack does not do the same. The OP

OK so I misunderstood the problem - if even DNS from Linux is treated
unfairly to a parallel http download then your router is..challenged.

>> should ensure that window sizing is turned on (might be off) and bump up
>> the initial window size.
>>
> This sounds far more plausible to me... it certainly seems to be something
> to do with the TCP stack on Gentoo.

And/or the stack on the router. Judging by your sysctl dump there is
nothing obviously wrong that you can or should do on the Linux box. You
*might* try 2.6.26.1 as there have been various bugfixes in TCP, but that
seems unlikely in this case. Generally full-speed http can be
a good bandwidth hog, but not to the point of total starvation of other
clients.

> I've had a look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_TCP_Tuning - which was
> interesting - but didn't suggest any clear answers to me.  From sysctl, I

You don't need to mess with the tcp tuning knobs or the congestion
control algorithms. None of that will help if your router is too cheap or
if you only have 100mbit LAN ;)

> Is "cubic" the defaut for everyone?  Is this Gentoo specific?  Is there a

cubic is the default.

-h