On Saturday 30 August 2008 16:59:02 Stroller wrote:
> but when I
> had the libexpat.so.0 error the only thing that worked (having
> followed a number of different advices posted here) was to rebuild
> EVERY outdated package on my system - a total numbering in the region
> of 250. I wouldn't have imagined I had so many packages installed,
> never mind those "missed" by my regular updates.

Missed this bit in my earlier reply :-)

That number of packages sounds about right, given the amount of time that has
passed since the original expat update, and the amount of changes in the tree
since. It was a huge disruption because so many apps use expat. Lucky for us,
such things are actually quite rare.

In retrospect, it would probably have been quicker if you went the long way
round:

emerge -e world

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com