Alan McKinnon schrieb:
On Saturday 13 September 2008 10:32:20 Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.

Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?

Cheers,
Hilco

Do you have another more powerful gentoo machine available where you can build the packages there and install just binaries on the virtual server?

Thats exactly what Nikos suggested!!!