On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:55:10 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> Yes, basically my philosophy is only to list in world the actual
> programs I want to use.

Same here, which is why I recommended editing the world file. Anything
you don't use directly can go. It's also a good way of cleaning
out those programs that you installed, thinking they were a good
idea, but never used.

> Some packages have optional run-time deps, say a multimedia
> program that can convert files if you have ffmpeg installed, so in
> those cases those optional packages will also be in world.

That shouldn't happen. Portage is supposed to control everything with USE
flags. In your example. the ebuild should run configure with either the
--enable-ffmpeg or --disable-ffmpeg option, depending on your flags.
Compile time features are to be controlled by the user, not decided for
him by the configure script. That's the Gentoo way.

--
Neil Bothwick

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...