Nicola wrote:
> Hi!
> Somebody out there try to set up the latest xorg server (and all the ~x86
> dependency) the latest nvidia driver and compiz?
> I would like to try, but my latest attempt three weeks ago caused same crazy
> problems (X didn't start at all), and I am not so crazy to do the same
> mistake twice in a row, without some prior advices. Well in my latest attempt
> I used xorg 1.4.2 and 173.14 nvidia drivers (I don't like Marked beta
> software).

I may have had the same problem a week ago.  X would start, kdm would
let me log in, but just about when the kde desktop would finish loading
kde would quit back to kdm.  Couldn't find any hint in /var/log.
Started backing out various things ended up getting the system working
again by masking hal 0.5.11:

# cat /etc/portage/package.mask/monolithic
=sys-fs/encfs-1.4.2
~sys-apps/hal-0.5.11
=media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p27725

At the time I was suspecting that hal 0.5.11 was requiring evdev (which
with 20+ hours of unsuccessfully trying to get it to work over the last
year, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the culprit).

Haven't had time to dig further.

HTH,
Roy