Yesterday's update to ssh (openssh-5.1_p1-r1) is giving me trouble.

The client is allan.  The server is ajglap.

>From the client (gnome-terminal) I can run ssh as follows

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ssh ajglap
    Last login: Tue Oct 28 11:50:02 EDT 2008 from allan on ssh
    Last login: Tue Oct 28 11:54:33 2008 from allan
    xhost:  unable to open display ""
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

adding a -Y gives the same output

But I can't run other server programs from the client.  The following
used to start emacs on the server displaying a new X11 window on the
client.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ssh -Y ajglap emacs
    emacs: standard input is not a tty
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

removing the -Y gives the same output

I went to the server and created ~/.ssh/config with contents

    ForwardX11Trusted yes

But this didn't help (I also tried the risky ForwardX11).

I am planning to downgrade, but wanted to ask here first if I have just
misconfigured something (bugs.gentoo.org didn't seem to have anything
relevant).

thanks,
allan