> Hi All,
>
> I have been experimenting with my wireless cardbus and cannot get it
> to work with airodump-ng:
>
> From lshw:
>
>      *-network
>           product: AR5212 802.11abg NIC
>           vendor: Atheros Communications, Inc.
>           physical id: 3
>           bus info: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:04:00.0
>           logical name: wifi0
>           version: 01
>           serial: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
>           width: 32 bits
>           clock: 33MHz
>           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet
> physical wireless
>           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath_pci ip=XX.XX.XXX.XXX
> latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath_pci multicast=yes
> wireless=IEEE 802.11g
>
> lspci -v gives:
>
> 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
> 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: PROXIM Inc Device 0a10
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11
>         Memory at 44000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>         Kernel driver in use: ath_pci
>         Kernel modules: ath_pci
>
> I am using net-wireless/madwifi-ng-0.9.4
>
> When I run airmon-ng it shows my ath0 interface:
>
> # airmon-ng
>

> Interface       Chipset         Driver
>
> wifi0           Atheros         madwifi-ng
> ath0            Atheros         madwifi-ng VAP (parent: wifi0)
>
> Running 'airmon-ng start wifi0' it creates a new VAP ath1 and puts it
> in Monitor mode.  So far so good, but running airodump-ng shows no
> data being captured.  Trying to stop ath0 (in case it interferes)
> shuts down /etc/init.d/net.ath0, although I still get ath1 shown in
> iwconfig.
>
> Have I missed something basic here?  Do I need perhaps to add net.ath1
> -> /etc/init.d/net.lo in the same way that I have done for ath0?
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

I have te same thing when using kismet, after starting kismet if I use
airmon-ng to look at my interfaces, I have this:

$ airmon-ng
wifi0           Atheros         madwifi-ng
ath0            Atheros         madwifi-ng VAP (parent: wifi0)
kis0            Atheros         madwifi-ng VAP (parent: wifi0)

Then if I want to shootdown kis0, I will use airmon-ng like this:

$ airmon-ng stop kis0

And kis0 will be destroyed.
So I think you can destroy any child of wifi0 by doing this with airmon-ng

For enabling monitor mode I do like you:

$ airmon-ng start wifi0

It will create a new child of wifi0, ath1 in my case.
Then starting 'airodump-ng ath1' will let me capture packet coming on ath1, if
of course any AP are active in my
neighbourhood

To destroy ath1 you do like for destroying kis0

$ airmon-ng stop ath1

Hope it help

http://www.drakonix.fr