Stroller schrieb am 08.11.2008 18:13:

> I wouldn't be inclined to assume a new user might be using a server
> profile because last time I checked these spit out an ugly warning
> message about "this profile being untested" for EVERY SINGLE package
> emerged.
>
> Eventually - after enabling PORTAGE_ELOG_* and being inundated with
> warning spam for packages which had compiled without problems - I was
> unable to tolerate this behaviour any longer & switched to a desktop
> profile instead.
>
> So has something changed since I experienced this, or have many other
> people just been ignoring the nuisance of the warning messages?
>
> I guess I chose a server profile in the first place because it seemed
> more "correct" for me to do so (seeing as all my machines are servers),
> but since I'm quite happy to put USE="-X -gtk -qt &c" in my make.conf I
> can't see that it makes much difference.

I don't know if the server profile is untested. I for myself neither use
a server nor a desktop profile. Here is my profile symlink.

/etc/make.profile ->
/media/system/repositories/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0

As you can see you don't need to choose either desktop or server at all,
as this works fine here and I don't get annoying messages.

For more information take a look at [1] Chapter 6b Choosing the Right
Profile

[1]
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1#book_part1_chap6