I did it last week.

in some place untar che last stage3-xxx

mount --bind proc, dev, usr/portage, passwd, group ecc
copy inside current make.conf, make.profile
chroot inside the new stage.

when finish i make a big tar of everyone in the new chroot.
reboot with live cd, move all my old system in /old, untar the new
system on the rootfs.

if something is missing in the new system , you have the original file
of configuration in /old

P.S. sometime i make something like stage4 from livecd and i store it in
a USB HD.

If something is going wrong, in 20 min i can restore all my system.