Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Just install the latest portage. It has a block breaking
> function. Then upgrade e2fsprogs like described a few douzend times
> on this ml and in the forums. Remove all the acient video drivers
> you don't need anyway. After that, most blocks should be gone.

Thanks again, and it appears to be working with at least `system' at
this moment.  After cleaning up the x11 drivers, and emerge -C 7-8
things I really don't need anymore.  Even with a blocker in there, the
emerge is running along just like you said it would.... nice.

Hopefully the world part may be as easy too.  I was really reluctant
to take too this mess but with yours, Andreys', Dirks', Marks' and
Dans' input it appears I may get this done by tomorrow.

All and all, much easier than my first thought of building up a fresh
gentoo install somewhere else and using that to overwrite my current
install.