I've decided to stop using KDE after yrs of use... given that gentoo
compiles everything from scratch, its just getting to much time lost
jacking around with kde during upgrades.

But also I'd forgotten what the oldtime linux desktops were like.
fvwm was the main one in use when I started circa 1997.

I see blackbox is even a bit more stark... but since I am mainly
command line oriented it doesn't present a problem.

But cutting to the chase here, I'm getting rid of KDE but I see
kde-base/arts shows lots of dependencies.  Even now that I've changed
my USE flag `kde' to `-kde'

  qdepends  -C kde-base/arts|awk '{gsub(/ /,"\n");print}'
  kde-base/arts-3.5.10:
  x11-libs/qt:3
  >=dev-libs/glib-2
  media-libs/alsa-lib
  media-libs/libogg
  media-libs/libvorbis
  media-sound/esound
  media-libs/libmad
  media-libs/audiofile
  dev-util/pkgconfig
  =sys-devel/automake-1.9*
  >=sys-devel/autoconf-2.61
  sys-devel/libtool
  sys-devel/make
  dev-util/pkgconfig
  dev-lang/perl

I'm pretty sure at least some of this doesn't actually depend on
kde-base/arts but not quite sure what to make of the output.