Mark Somerville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 07:45:04PM +0000, Mick wrote:
>> Without gentoo-wiki my knowledge level is rather poor (just like my memory!)
>>
>> What would you use to back up a running server without taking it off line?
>
> I like rdiff-backup, which gives incremental backups over rsync.

I just started playing with rdiff-backup.  If you are familiar with
rsnapshot maybe you'll know if rdiff-backup is better in some way.

I've been using rsnapshot for quite a while but haven't had to do a
serious restore (knock on wood).

The small scale restores I've needed seemed to be something of a pita.

I guess you have to search the rsnapshot created hardlinks for the
version you want manually.  At least that is what I ended up doing.

There may be better ways but rsnapshot doesn't supply any help in that
regard far as I know.  Other than the biggest part of having created
the file you need that is.