Hi,

I did my weekly sync tonight and ran emerge -uvDN world afterwards.  It
updated portage and a few other programs.  I then wanted to check to see
if anything was no longer needed by using --depclean -p.  Well, I got
this back:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge -p --depclean
>
>  * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
>  * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
>  * be kept.  They can be manually added to this set with
>  * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.  Packages that are listed in
>  * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
>  * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
>  *
>  * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
>  * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
>  * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
>  * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>  * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
>  * the following required packages not being installed:
>  *
>  *   virtual/perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder pulled in by:
>  *     perl-core/File-Spec-3.27.01
>  *
>  * Have you forgotten to run `emerge --update --newuse --deep world`
> prior to
>  * depclean?  It may be necessary to manually uninstall packages that
> no longer
>  * exist in the portage tree since it may not be possible to satisfy their
>  * dependencies.  Also, be aware of the --with-bdeps option that is
> documented
>  * in `man emerge`.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

Since I just updated everything I thought I would try the new set
thingy, not into that set thing much but just in case.  I get this:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge -u --newuse --deep @system @world
> Calculating dependencies... done!

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

What gives here?  Everything is up to date yet it then tells me
something is not.  Since portage updated itself and I saw this little
info scroll by:

>  * If you're upgrading from a pre-2.2 version of portage you might
>  * want to remerge world (emerge -e world) to take full advantage
>  * of some of the new features in 2.2.
>  * This is not required however for portage to function properly.

Does this mean I need to do a emerge -e world for --depclean to work?
Seems a little extreme to me.  This from a emerge -evp world:

> Total: 888 packages (3 upgrades, 5 new, 1 in new slot, 879
> reinstalls), Size of downloads: 94,583 kB
> Fetch Restriction: 1 package

Then again, emerge -evp does show 5 new packages.  I'm like that little
puppet of Jeff Dunham's, 'what the he**'?  Maybe I need to go back a
version of portage.  LOL

Thoughts?  I say thoughts cause I'm not sure there is a answer to this
one.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

Oh, the new/upgrade/slot list:

> [ebuild  NS   ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.26-r3 [2.6.23-r8,
> 2.6.25-r9] USE="-build -symlink" 48,452 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] virtual/perl-Module-Build-0.28.08  0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] virtual/perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder-0.23  0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] virtual/perl-Archive-Tar-1.40  0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] virtual/perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS-2.19  0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] virtual/perl-IO-Zlib-1.09  0 kB
> [ebuild     U ] app-text/rarian-0.8.1 [0.8.0-r1] USE="-debug" 317 kB
> [ebuild     U ] www-client/seamonkey-1.1.13 [1.1.12] USE="crypt ipv6
> java ldap xprint -debug -gnome -mozdevelop -moznocompose -moznoirc
> -moznomail -moznopango -moznoroaming -postgres -xforms -xinerama"
> 37,166 kB
> [ebuild     U ] media-gfx/imagemagick-6.4.4.6 [6.4.0.6] USE="X bzip2
> corefonts%* jbig jpeg jpeg2k openmp%* perl png svg tiff truetype wmf
> xml zlib -djvu -doc -fontconfig -fpx -graphviz -gs -hdri -lcms -nocxx
> -openexr -q32 -q8 -raw%" 8,650 kB

I knew someone would ask for that.  ;-)