On Tuesday 25 November 2008 23:15:27 Joerg Schilling wrote:
> James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Backups.
> >
> > get a usb stick and manually copy your stuff to it, periodically.
>
> Where do you get these 1 TB USB sticks?

To be fair, he was responding to a parent that asked about backing up 3.8G of
data, so USB sticks are not unfeasible. Until they get lost that is.

Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their new SSDs.
The reason is that I'm getting sick and tired of having to explain and
justify why the laws of physics prevent my girlfriend from being able to
backup her 5T banking warehouse on the schedule the law of the country would
like her to. There's a solution, but it's hackish and ugly and involves
extremely careful management of LVM snapshots. This is simply way too much
admin effort for what should really be a simple incremental backup process.
And let's not even get into what restores involve

Let's face it, disks only spin so fast and Moore's law does not apply to disk
and tape speed. Vastly improving the first half - drive speed - is a huge
first step in the right direction.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com