Grant wrote:

> [...]

"/etc/init.d/ssh zap" should do it. If "/etc/init.d/ssh start" then still
does not work, you may need to kill -9 the running sshd server. You may
do this, running ssh sessions will not be terminated by this.

You can also start/test the new sshd parallel to the running old one, but
on another port: /usr/sbin/sshd -p 12345. Then connect with ssh -p 12345.

[...]
> >> When is the last time you did an etc-update?
> >
> > I just checked on my system. sshd is in /usr/bin/sshd. Not sbin. You
> > have an outdated /etc/init.d/sshd file. You might need to etc-update,
> > or reinstall sshd and run etc-update afterwards
>
> Thanks for helping me out with this.  I re-emerged openssh and now
> sshd restarts just fine.

I just had the same problem. After upgrading from openssh-4.7_p1-r6 to
5.1_p1-r1, /etc/init.d/sshd did not work. Configs had been updated
already. I emerged 5.1_p1-r1 again, and now /etc/init.d/sshd works fine.

        Wonko