I've recently discovered a curious pattern emerging in my system log
with failed login attempts via ssh.

Previously, I noticed dictionary attacks launched - which were easy to
detect... and I've a process to block the IP address of any host that
repeatedly fails to authenticate.

What I see now is quite different... I'm seeing a dictionary attack
originating from a wide range of IP addresses - testing user-names in
sequence... it has been in progress since 22nd November 2008 and has
tried 7195 user names in alphabetical order from 521 distinct hosts -
with no successive two attempts from the same host.

I'm not particularly concerned - since I'm confident that all my users
have strong passwords... but it strikes me that this data identifies a
bot-net that is clearly malicious attempting to break passwords.

Sure, I could use IPtables to block all these bad ports... or... I could
disable password authentication entirely... but I keep thinking that
there has to be something better I can do... any suggestions?  Is there
a simple way to integrate a block-list of known-compromised hosts into
IPtables - rather like my postfix is configured to drop connections from
known spam sources from the sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org DNS block list, for
example.

Break in attempts today (attempted username/IP address):
--
huck 190.60.41.82
huckleberry 81.196.122.2
huckleberry 58.39.145.213