Anyone know if RSA keys are incompatible between ssh-3.8 and sshd-4.2?

I have this combination between 2 clients and 1 server.
RSA keys consistently fail, DSA keys consistently succeed.
The clients are on FreeBSD 5.4 and 5.5, server is FreeBSD 6.1

I found one report on google of a similar case with a MacOS client connecting
to a Gentoo server where the user reported
upgrading to sshd-4.3 fixed it, but the key type was not mentioned and I
cannot find any reference about it in OpenSSH's Changelogs, or it's bugzilla

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com