On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:40:42PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I wonder if someone can guess at what I'm supposed to do to be able to
> complete --depclean. The machine is currently clean on emerge -DuN
> world and revdep-rebuild. I don't understand how I'm supposed to
> handle this mit-krb5 thing.

<snip>
>  * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
>  * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
>  * packages that pulled them in.
>  *
>  *   app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.6.3-r4 pulled in by:
>  *     app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.62
>  *     dev-util/subversion-1.5.4
>  *     media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.2.0-r2
>  *     media-video/totem-2.22.2-r1
>  *     net-print/gnome-cups-manager-0.33
>  *     net-print/libgnomecups-0.2.3
>  *     x11-libs/gtk+-2.14.5
</snip>

<snip>

> lightning ~ # emerge -pv ghostscript-gpl subversion vorbis-tools totem
> gnome-cups-manager libgnomecups gtk+

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.14.5  USE="X cups jpeg tiff -debug
> -doc -jpeg2k -vim-syntax -xinerama" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] net-print/libgnomecups-0.2.3  USE="-debug" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] dev-util/subversion-1.5.4  USE="berkdb dso java nls
> perl python webdav-neon -apache2 -bash-completion -debug -doc -emacs
> -extras -ruby -sasl -vim-syntax -webdav-serf" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.2.0-r2  USE="flac nls
> ogg123 -speex" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.62  USE="X cjk cups gtk
> -bindist -djvu -jpeg2k" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-video/totem-2.22.2-r1  USE="bluetooth gnome
> python -debug -galago -lirc -nautilus -nsplugin -nvtv -seamonkey
> -tracker -xulrunner" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] net-print/gnome-cups-manager-0.33  USE="-debug" 0 kB
</snip>

Okay, gtk+, ghostscript, gnome-cups-manager, libgnomecups all are
obviously related to printing, which means they probably rely on
net-print/cups, which depends on mit-krb5 if you have the kerberos USE
flag turned on. Did you just recently switch off the kerberos flag? If
so try recompiling cups and then those four packages.

vorbis-tools depends on curl if you have the ogg123 flag set, and
net-misc/curl also has the kerberos flag. So you may need to rebuild
the curl package then the vorbis-tools package.

I suspect similar things happen for totem and subversion. My guess for
subversion is that it depends on neon, which USE kerberos (too lazy to
check the ebuild now). Totem I have no idea.

I think your emerge -DuN probably have recompiled the cups/neon/curl
and what not because of the USE flag change, but since it is a
recompile, revdep-rebuild may not have caught the changing libs and
now you need to rebuild these seven packages.

Does that sound reasonable?

HTH,

Willie W. Wong                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
408 Fine Hall,  Department of Mathematics,  Princeton University,  Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.