Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Weird problem this one. I updated to sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201 (from 2.8_p20080602) and everything appears to be just fine. With one exception: viewing files in Midnight Commander's built-in viewer doesn't work anymore. Pressing F3 (View) does nothing. Calling `mcview` or `mc -v file` also does nothing; the application simply exits with no error messages (or any other messages; just nothing).

Anyone encountered this? I've rebuild mc of course and revdep-rebuild shows all is OK.

I've solved it. I had to go ~arch on sys-kernel/linux-headers and rebuild glibc. I was using stable headers before (2.6.23-r3). After I upgraded to ~amd64 2.6.27-r2 and emerged glibc again, the bug went away.

One more for the archive.  Thanks anyone for trying to help :)