Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You are running it in vmware right?
>
> Your disk type, disk adapters type and chipset in a vmware vm are
> NOT the same as these device on the physical hardware. vmware
> emulates a BX440 chipset, SCSI drives and LSI or BusLogic
> adapter. You must use those drivers, not the drivers for the
> physical hardware. Then everything should JustWork(tm) as the rest
> of your hardware is presented as-is via the hypervisor.

Yes, and thanks but I had worked most of that out already.  Having run
a few vmware that I built. Particularly the BUSLOGIC module is
important.  But I've gone ahead and enabled most scsi stuff in one or
another kernel build, in vain.

I've used the original (bootable) kernels .config to establish the new
build but still  it fails.   Each time I've attempted to disable a few
of the settings since the running config has just about everthing
imaginable enabled.  Some 400+ modules installed at /lib/modules.

  du -sh /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r8/
  295M    /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r8/

Thats a pretty unreasonable herd of modules. I haven't actually tried
an actual mirror image of the running kernel... whats the point...

But I do want to be able to move ahead in versions at some point.  I
don't need a newer kernels for any other reason than just keeping up
at some point.