Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@online.de> writes:

[...]

> OK, I'll give it a try. I see this in lspci

[...]

> and this in dmesg

[...]

> which then later detects the sdb partitions.
>
> This means that you would need to compile the following into the kernel:
>
> CONFIG_PCI
> CONFIG_SCSI
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD
> CONFIG_FUSION
> CONFIG_FUSION_SPI
>
> plus the filesystem you have formatted the partition with.
>
> But, as said this detects the _second_ device. You also need the
> drivers for the first one. If you leave them out, the fusion device
> will be detected as _sda_. So you'll also need:

> CONFIG_ATA
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX
>
> and eventually
>
> CONFIG_ATA_ACPI
> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI

You've got a sharp eye Dirk.  Seems like you pieced it together pretty
easily once given enough info.

Thanks for your patience Dirk.

Nikos, thanks for your patience as well

Any other posters I've missed... much thanks.

Not only can boot with no initrd but bootup is very noticably faster
than with the original kernel.  Might even be close to %50 faster.

Well anyway considerably faster.

Now to take notes on the proceedures passed along in this thread and
try to do my own kernel compiling next time.